If you want to maximize the space in your home, there are clever and innovative ways do to this with some thoughtful planning. Whether you’re dealing with a small living space or even a larger home that needs some reorganizing, there are plenty of ways to make the most of the area and find the perfect spots to store everything. Here are 15 space-saving ideas to help you make the most of your space and give you the feeling of a bigger room.
Table of Contents
Storage solutions are a great way to get the most out of your space. One idea is to invest in pull-out drawers or classically styled storage units that fit comfortably underneath tables, chairs, and beds. If you have a staircase, use the crevices around the bottom and sides for sports equipment, umbrellas, and other items. Store extra blankets in containers or a cushioned ottoman that doubles as storage. With a little creative thinking, you can make much storage space with the items you already have in your home.
Maximize Your Floor Space
To maximize floor space, you can get furniture with hidden storage, such as coffee tables and floating shelves that double display and storage spots. Consider getting nesting tables that are easy to stack and slide away when not being used. Floating shelves add extra storage without too much visual space or fouling up the floor space beneath them. Get rid of bulky items that take up a lot of space and store items in an organized and tight fashion.
Get Creative With Wall Space
Using your walls to add more storage is a great way to maximize your living space. Consider installing shelves, racks, and hooks to store items such as books, utensils, jackets, and other items you must have in reach. Installing a shelf underneath ceiling fans or a speaker system can create a neat and organized space without sacrificing style or functionality. You can even hang baskets or buckets that can be stored while maintaining your interior design.
Use Shelves and Cabinets
Shelves and cabinets are great for maximizing storage space in your home. Utilizing tall and thin bookcases for books, decorations, and other items can free up some much-needed area. Keeping taller items on the bottom, you can make the most of the space and recover some lost square footage. Depending on the style of your furniture and the items you want to store, you can find a cabinet or shelf to suit your needs and solve your storage issues.
Hide any clutter by creating a designated and organized space for valuable items. Consider purchasing larger furniture with many drawers that can house items you don’t want to keep on full display. Put any extra items in storage and add door handles to the furniture so you can access it easily but still have that discreet feel. If you don’t have any furniture that offers extra storage, look into purchasing a storage trunk that can act as a coffee table while hiding any excess items.
Protect What’s Important
Protect the items that are important to you and store them away in a safe space. A bedside table or ottoman can be an effortless storage unit for books, clothing, bedspreads, and other important items. If you’ve got small items like jewelry that need to be stowed away, consider installing hooks and creating visual pockets where you can safely store them.
Make the Most of Furniture
Use your furniture to make the most of the space you have in your home. A great example is a sofa with built-in storage underneath the cushions. Not only will it free up more space in your living area, but it will also give you easy access to the blankets and pillows stored underneath. Alternatively, utilize the space underneath a bed and preferably a bed frame with built-in drawers. As a bonus, if you pick a neutral frame, you can add a splash of style with fun bedspreads and throws that round off the room perfectly.
Double the Functionality
Double the functionality of any item in your home and use it for more than one purpose. For example, an end table can contain a lampshade, but certain tables also come equipped with drawers for extra storage. Other items like coffee tables, as do ottomans and armchairs, also provide extra storage. Consider adding shelves to existing furniture to create extra storage within the piece itself.
Establish Visual Clutter-Free Areas
When working with a smaller space, you want to keep visual clutter to a minimum. Hide away unsightly items such as remote controls, chargers, and other knick-knacks in pre-labeled boxes that you can either store or place away in drawers. Have a designated spot for each item, and you’ll be surprised by how much clearer and clutter-free your space feels.
Add Perfect Little Touches
Adding perfect little touches to the areas in your home is a great way to maximize the space and create a room you can be proud of. Install shelves in pick-and-choose areas for extra storage and display pictures, books, and decorations. Install a hanging system for cups and mugs and install cabinets for bulky items such as vacuum cleaners, games, or clothing items.
Space Saving Ideas For Small Homes
The key is to maximize the available floor space without crowding out other furniture and fixtures. Here are some tips on space-saving ideas for small homes and apartments.
Pull-out drawers are great for the smallest of showers or bathrooms. Installing them in the sink’s base provides more storage space within the same square footage. You can install pull-out drawers in other small spaces, including stairs, entryways, and reach-in closets.
Floating shelves make a great storage solution in any small room. Not only do they take up very little visual space, but they also provide a great way to store books, knick-knacks, and DVDs.
Another great space-saving tip is to use storage units instead of coffee tables. A storage unit with drawers or shelves can provide extra storage while still providing seating. You can use the coffee tables as end tables. An added bonus is the opportunity to hide messes or bulky items.
Many people find their living rooms cluttered with books, magazines, and other items without much extra space left. Consider installing shelves around the room near the ceiling and using them to store books and DVDs. You can also install shelves near the ceiling in the bedroom and store away winter blankets and other out-of-season items. This will help to create a larger living space you can enjoy.
When it comes to dining rooms, looking for ways to slim down on space is essential. Look for ways to make use of the wall for storage. Install shelves for plates and glasses and use the walls to store other bulky items such as the television. Look for a dining table that can be used as double duty. Look for nesting or coffee tables that can be combined when needed or kept separate when you don’t.
Your bathroom is another area where taking full advantage of the space is key. Installing cabinets above the sink is a great way to increase storage or styling space. Installing a floating shelf over the toilet or a storing wall shelf will help to increase storage and utilize wall space.
Regarding small bedrooms, look for ways to add extra storage or create more space. Visual clutter can be hidden away in drawers beneath the bed or pull-out drawers within the bedside tables.
Use linen closets and other storage solutions to store away bulky items. Use shelves on the walls to add some visual lightness and make the room feel bigger than it is.
Regarding small spaces, look for ways to create extra storage without taking up too much space. Look for pull-out drawers, floating shelves, and other ways to maximize the space without removing the style. With creativity and forethought, you can make the most out of limited space and have a stylish, functional small space.
Space Saving Solutions For Small Space
Living in a small home can have challenges, especially regarding storage and organization. Thankfully, there are a variety of space-saving solutions that can help make the most of even the smallest spaces. One option is wall-mounted shelves and organizers, providing valuable storage without taking up floor space.
Multi-functional furniture, such as a bed with built-in drawers or a table that can be expanded or folded down when not in use, is also a great way to maximize functionality while minimizing the space needed. Finally, vertical space with hanging organizers or hooks can help keep clutter off the floor and create breathing room in even the smallest homes. Creativity and the right tools make even the smallest spaces comfortable, organized, and functional.
Space-Saving Ideas For Bedrooms
Space-saving ideas for bedrooms are essential, especially if you have a small bedroom. Utilizing every inch of space in your bedroom can maximize your storage and living areas, making it more comfortable and functional.
Some simple yet effective space-saving ideas for bedrooms include using under-bed storage boxes, wall-mounted shelves, and dressers, installing a fold-down desk, opting for a platform bed with built-in storage, and using a closet organizer to maximize your closet space. These ideas will help you declutter your bedroom and create a more organized and comfortable living space.
Space Saving Ideas For Mobile Homes
Living in a mobile home often means making the most out of limited space. Luckily, with clever space-saving ideas, you can maximize every inch of your home. One popular option is multipurpose furniture, such as a couch that converts into a bed or a coffee table with hidden storage inside. Another idea is to use vertical space by installing shelves or hanging organizers on walls. You can also use sliding doors or curtains instead of traditional doors to save space. Implementing a few space-saving ideas can make your mobile home feel more spacious and comfortable.
Saving Space Ideas For Rooms
With living spaces becoming more expensive, maximizing every inch of room available is essential. However, this doesn’t mean sacrificing style and comfort. There are several space-saving ideas that you can incorporate into your rooms that are not only practical but also visually appealing.
Consider using multi-functional furniture such as ottomans with storage or a sofa bed for guests. Another idea is to use wall space effectively with floating shelves, wall-mounted desks, and foldable tables. Decluttering regularly, using light colors, and harnessing the power of mirrors to create an illusion of more space are just a few more expert tips. You can creatively transform your cramped space into a functional and beautiful living area.
Space-Saving Ideas For Children’s Bedrooms
Space-saving is key to creating a functional and comfortable living environment for children’s bedrooms. Here are a few ideas to maximize space in a child’s bedroom:
- Loft beds: Loft beds are a popular space-saving solution allowing storage or play areas underneath the bed. Many loft beds have built-in desks, bookshelves, or play areas, making them a great choice for children.
- Wall-mounted storage: Wall-mounted shelves, pegboards, and hooks are a great way to utilize vertical space and keep items off the floor. These storage solutions can be used for toys, books, clothing, and more.
- Under-bed storage: Using the space under the bed is a great way to create additional storage space in a child’s bedroom. Storage bins or baskets can keep items organized and out of sight.
- Folding furniture: Folding furniture, such as a desk or chair, can be easily tucked away when not in use, creating more floor space in the bedroom.
- Bunk beds: Bunk beds are another popular space-saving solution for children’s bedrooms. They allow multiple children to sleep in the same room, taking up less floor space than two beds.
By utilizing these space-saving ideas, you can create a functional and comfortable living environment for your child while maximizing the available space in their bedroom.
What Is Saving Space?
Saving space refers to reducing the amount of physical or digital storage used by something, such as a file or object, in order to maximize available storage capacity.
Why Is Saving Space Important?
Saving space is important because it allows us to use resources efficiently, reduce clutter, improve organization, and make room for more important things.
How Can I Save Space In My Small House?
Here are a few tips to save space in a small house:
- Use multi-functional furniture, such as a sofa bed or an ottoman with storage space inside.
- Hang shelves and use wall space for storage instead of taking up floor space.
- Utilize the area under the bed by using storage containers or a bed frame with built-in storage.
- Install hooks or pegboards on walls to hang items like jackets, bags, and hats.
- Choose furniture with a smaller footprint, like a slim console table, instead of a bulky entertainment center.
How Do I Build Storage In My House Without Storage?
There are several ways to build storage in your house without existing storage space. Here are a few ideas:
- Install shelves or cabinets on unused wall space
- Utilize under-bed storage containers or bed risers with built-in storage
- Hang hooks or racks on the back of doors or in closets for additional storage space
- Invest in furniture with built-in storage, such as ottomans or coffee tables with hidden compartments
- Use storage baskets or bins to organize items in open spaces or on shelves. Remember to declutter and get rid of items you no longer need before adding new storage solutions to your home.
How Can I Save Space In My Home?
Declutter: Get rid of things you don’t need or use.
Use multifunctional furniture: Use furniture that serves multiple purposes, such as a sofa bed or a storage ottoman.
Maximize vertical space: Install shelves, cabinets, and storage units that go up to the ceiling.
Organize efficiently: Keep similar items together and use storage containers and labels to make things easy to find.
Use space under the bed: Store items under your bed using storage containers or bed risers.
Use door organizers: Hang organizers over the back of doors to store items like shoes, bags, or cleaning supplies.
Store items in unused spaces: Use space under stairs, in nooks, or in between furniture to store items.
How Do You Store Things When You Have No Space?
When you have limited space for storage, there are a few strategies you can use to maximize the available space:
Use vertical space: Install shelves or utilize the vertical space on existing furniture to create more storage options.
Use multi-purpose furniture: Choose furniture that can serve multiple purposes, such as a bed with built-in storage or a coffee table with storage.
Purge unnecessary items: Get rid of items that you no longer need or use to free up space.
Use storage organizers: Invest in storage organizers such as hanging organizers, storage bins, and drawer dividers to maximize the space in your closets and drawers.
Remember to regularly reassess your storage needs and adjust accordingly to maintain an organized and functional space.
How Do I Get The Most Storage In My Small Space?
- Use vertical space: Install shelves or use storage containers that stack on top of each other.
- Use hidden storage: Opt for furniture with built-in storage compartments, such as ottomans, bed frames, and coffee tables.
- Use multi-functional furniture: Choose furniture that can serve more than one purpose, such as a sofa bed or a desk that doubles as a bookshelf.
- Use wall space: Hang items such as bicycles, jewelry, or kitchen utensils on the walls to free up floor space.
- Use vacuum storage bags: These bags compress items, such as clothing or bedding, into a compact size, freeing up more space.
How Can I Save Space In My Bedroom?
- Use storage containers: Invest in storage containers that fit under your bed or in your closet to store items that you don’t use frequently.
- Use vertical space: Install shelves or wall-mounted storage units to make use of vertical space.
- Multi-functional furniture: Choose furniture that serves more than one purpose, such as a bed with built-in storage or a desk that doubles as a vanity.
- Keep it minimal: Stick to a minimalist design aesthetic and only keep essential items in your bedroom.
How Can I Save Storage Space At Home?
Here are some ways to save storage space at home:
- Invest in furniture with built-in storage, such as beds or ottomans.
- Use storage containers to group and organize items.
- Digitize documents and photos to reduce paper clutter.
- Store seasonal items, such as clothing or decorations, in vacuum-sealed bags.
- Make use of underutilized spaces, such as under the bed or stairs.
How Do I Maximize Storage In A Small Room?
To maximize storage in a small room, you can:
- Use vertical space by installing shelves, cabinets, or bookcases that reach the ceiling.
- Use under-bed storage containers or bed frames with built-in drawers.
- Use multi-functional furniture, such as a storage ottoman or a coffee table with hidden storage.
- Utilize the back of doors by installing over-the-door organizers or hooks.
- Use a pegboard or wall-mounted organizers to hang frequently used items.
How Can I Save Some Space?
Here are some ways to save space:
- Optimize vertical space: Install shelves or storage units that reach the ceiling to make use of unused vertical space.
- Digitize: Scan important documents and photos to save space and reduce clutter.
- Minimize packaging: Remove excess packaging from items you purchase to reduce the amount of waste in your home.
- Evaluate your possessions: Consider if you really need certain items or if they can be borrowed or rented instead of owned.
How Do You Save Space In A Small Flat?
- Get rid of items you don’t need or use.
- Use multi-functional furniture.
- Maximize vertical space with shelves and hooks.
- Utilize storage under the bed and other furniture.
- Choose furniture that can be easily stored when not in use.
- Keep surfaces clear of clutter.
- Use organizers and baskets to keep small items tidy.
- Use light colors and mirrors to create the illusion of more space.
- Don’t be afraid to go digital and reduce the number of physical items you have.
- Keep a minimalist mindset and regularly assess what you really need in your space.
How Can I Save Space In My Small Room?
- Use multi-functional furniture: Look for furniture that can serve more than one purpose, such as a bed with storage underneath or a coffee table with built-in storage.
- Utilize vertical space: Install shelves or storage units that reach up to the ceiling to maximize the use of your wall space.
- Declutter regularly: Get rid of items you no longer need or use, and keep only the essentials.
- Use organizers: Invest in storage bins, baskets, and organizers to keep your belongings neat and tidy.
- Optimize your closet: Use slim hangers, add a second rod, and use closet organizers to make the most of your closet space.
- Choose the right lighting: Use wall-mounted or hanging lights instead of floor lamps to free up floor space.
- Avoid oversized furniture: Choose furniture that fits the scale of your room to prevent it from feeling cramped.
- Keep it simple: Avoid clutter and keep decorations to a minimum to create a more open and airy feel.
What Is The Best Way To Use Space In Your House?
The best way to use space in your house is to assess your needs and prioritize functionality over aesthetics. Consider multi-functional furniture, utilize vertical space, and declutter regularly to maximize the available space.
How Do I Open Up Space In My Small House?
Here are some tips to open up space in a small house:
- Use multi-functional furniture that serves more than one purpose.
- Use vertical space by installing shelves or cabinets on walls.
- Use light colors on walls and furniture to create the illusion of more space.
- Remove unnecessary doors or replace them with sliding doors to save space.
- Use mirrors to reflect light and create the illusion of more space.
- Keep the floor clear by using wall-mounted storage or furniture with legs.
- Create a designated storage area for items that tend to clutter up space, such as shoes or coats.
- Keep the space organized and tidy to maintain the illusion of openness.
How Do I Maximize Storage In A Small Space?
Here are some tips to maximize storage in a small space:
- Use the back of doors with hanging organizers or hooks for additional storage.
- Use storage containers and baskets to keep items organized and maximize space.
- Install floating shelves or wall-mounted storage units to keep the floor clear.
- Use furniture with built-in storage, such as a coffee table with a storage compartment.
- Use the space under the bed or sofa for storage by using under-bed storage containers.
- Make use of unused space, such as the area under the stairs or in the corner of a room.
- Keep items that you use frequently within easy reach and store seasonal or occasional items in harder-to-reach places.
How Do You Organize If You Have No Storage Space?
Here are some tips to organize if you have no storage space:
- Use multi-functional furniture that also serves as storage, such as a bed with built-in drawers or a storage ottoman.
- Use wall space to install shelves or hanging organizers.
- Use under-bed storage containers to maximize space.
- Get creative with vertical space by using hooks or tension rods to hang items.
- Use decorative baskets or boxes to organize and store items.
- Use a rolling cart or kitchen island to add storage in a small kitchen.
- Utilize closet space by using hanging organizers or installing additional shelves.
- Minimize clutter by regularly decluttering and getting rid of items you no longer need.
How Do You Maximize Space When Building A House?
Here are some tips to maximize space when building a house:
- Design an open floor plan that allows for flexibility in furniture arrangement and use of space.
- Use multi-functional furniture that serves more than one purpose.
- Build up instead of out by adding a second story or using high ceilings to create loft spaces.
- Use built-in storage solutions to maximize storage space while minimizing the use of floor space.
- Use pocket doors or sliding doors to save space and create a more open feel.
- Install large windows to let in natural light and make the space feel larger.
- Use light colors on walls and furniture to create the illusion of more space.
- Consider the flow of the space to ensure that there is enough room for movement and activities.
- Plan the layout of the space carefully to avoid wasted space and ensure efficient use of every square foot.
How Do You Maximize Space In A Home Renovation Project?
Here are some tips to maximize space in a home renovation project:
- Remove unnecessary walls to create an open floor plan.
- Use multi-functional furniture to save space.
- Install built-in storage solutions to utilize every inch of space.
- Use light colors and natural light to create the illusion of more space.
- Install pocket doors or sliding doors to save space.
- Install shelving or cabinets up to the ceiling to use vertical space.
- Use modular furniture that can be easily moved or reconfigured.
- Choose furniture with hidden storage compartments.
- Use mirrors to reflect light and create the illusion of more space.
- Keep the space clutter-free and well-organized to maintain a sense of openness.
Experienced Executive Assistant with a demonstrated history of working within the furniture industry. Skilled in furniture styling, visual communication, project management, and proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite. Strong arts and design professional with a (BA) Creative Direction for furniture design focused on Industrial Design from School of the Art Institute of Chicago.